Fishing is a way to catch Pokémon in the water. In fact, some Pokémon can only be caught by using a Fishing Rod.
Fishing Rods are included in the game to allow the player to Fish wherever there is an open water space.
There are three different types of rods each allowes the player to fish for differing types of Pokémon.
- Old Rod The Old Rod is usually the first rod to be obtained by the player and is also the weakest of the three as it will only allow the player to fish for Magikarps and other common water type Pokémon.
- Good Rod The Good Rod is the second rod to be obtained by the player, and opens up more types of Pokémon able to be caught.
- Super Rod The Super Rod is the last rod to be obtained, and with it it’s possible to fish for all types of Pokémon in any area.
Depending on your region, there are various locations where you can acquire the various types of Fishing Rods.
- Old Rod: Vermillion City; Go to the Pokémon Center and talk to the girl. Then read the bookcases, and go back to the old man on the dock.
- Good Rod: Fuchsia City (Talk to Diego)
- Super Rod: Route 12; Found in the Fishing Hut, talk to the Old Man.
- Old Rod: Route 32 Pokemon Center from a Fisherman NPC called Jelly
- Good Rod: The Rod can be found in Olivine City
- Super Rod: Lake of Rage
Using a Fishing Rod
To use a Fishing Rod, point your player so that it is facing water. Then, open your Backpack, and click the fishing rod.
If the combat animation does not trigger, you did not catch a Pokémon. You will need to walk 5 steps, then repeat the actions.